Sponsor

Quick Jump Full Board List
Forum Home League of Legends Create your own skin in LOL

Create your own skin in LOL

May 10, 2010 1:15 am
As the best selling point of League of Legends, hero skins have received many players’ great concern. Here, I would like to introduce some tips for creating new skins for LoL heroes. Hopefully this tutorial would be helpful to those who don’t buy hero skins from the LoL official.

Q: How many kinds of LoL hero skins are there?
A: By far, the LoL hero skins can be divided into two kinds, the skins created by the LoL dev team and those created by players.

To utilize the skins created by the LoL dev team, you have to pay real money. Surely, high cost can bring high reward. The official skins are visible to all players in the game. Just imagine, how would others feel when you apply totally different and cool skins to your heroes? Maybe when you are enjoying fighting, your allies and opponents are drooling in front of their PC because of envying you. Nevertheless, to make it true, you have to spend cash. So that may be not a good choice for many players. After all, some may not afford them. While some may be unwilling to pay them.

In contrast with the skins created by the official, player made skins are completely free. Players can download lots of player made skins from many sites and utilize them to change heroes’ appearance. Though player made skins are free, they can only be used to modify the local client. So only you can see the change of your heroes’ appearance after applying player made skins, and others cannot see the change. Anyway, at least you can see funny changes since there are a variety of fun skins made by players. For example, after the show of Avatar, some guys may attempt to create some totally free Avatar styled skins for LoL heroes. Isn’t it amazing?

Now let’s turn to the creation of hero skins. Just feel free to download the free hero skins on our site. If you have any question about downloading and/or applying the skins, just join our community. Also, we are particularly welcoming those who are interested in creating LoL hero skins.
Notes: This tutorial won’t affect the update of the game client. So just make use of it at ease.

1.First of all, download your favorite LoL hero skins by the links below.

2.Decompress the file and create a folder named Characters in your “X:Riot GamesLeague of LegendsgameDATA” folder.

3.Copy the decompressed hero skins and paste them into the “Characters” folder. The decompressed folders are usually named after hero names.

4.If there is a folder named Particles amongst the decompressed files, please paste the “Particles” folder into your “X:Riot GamesLeague of LegendsgameDATA” folder too. If there is already a folder named Particles in your client, just cover it.

Q: What if there are several files in a folder I download?

A: In fact, many hero skins are not merely made of 3D models and pictures but also have some special effects. For example, when Poppy casts the spell specific to W key 10 times, the picture on his shield will radiate and be changed, and his mace will radiate too. When Ashe activates Q to launch frost shots, the arrows will have fog looking trail. Those special effects are independent of the hero skins. They seem as if the decoration of the hero skins. Some players also produced special effects for some heroes when creating skins for the heroes. For example, they make Ashe’s frost arrows shown in red, Poppy’s shield shown as a skull when casting the spell specific to W key 10 times. If you only paste the hero skins but not paste the special effects, the heroes will look at a huge discount.

Where should the special effects involved files be put in usually?

Usually put them in “C:Riot GamesLeague of LegendsgameDATAParticles”. If there is no such file in your PC, you can create one by yourself and name it Particles. For example, when I download skins for Poppy, there may be three files named “poppy.dds”, “poppydef_buf.dds” and “poppydef_max.dds” respectively. When downloading hero skins, you will receive reminders reminding you of pasting them into which folder. As mentioned above, you need create a folder named Poppy in your Characters folder, then put “poppy.dds” in the folder, and then put the other 2 files in the Particles folder. Compared with some skins created by some talented guys, the file structure of Poppy’s skins seems simpler. I once downloaded Ashe’s skins plus special effects of arrows, which consisted of more than 10 files, and even pasting the files according to the reminders took much time. But it is worth since the files would bring cool display effects to Ashe’s actions.

If you get tired of the DIY skins, simply delete X:Riot GamesLeague of LegendsgameDATACharacters and delete all files in X:Riot GamesLeague of LegendsgameDATAParticles except Exclude and Particles.

At last, let me share some very cool skins. If you have some cool skins too, please share them in this forum and please also share how to utilize them if you wish.

1.        “Red” Bowmaster. Tips: Paste Bowmaster folder into X:Riot GamesLeague of LegendsgameDATACharacters (If there is no folder named Characters, please create one by yourself), and also paste Particles folder into X:Riot GamesLeague of LegendsgameDATA.

Download: http://download.mmosite.com/download.php?id=4104

2.        “Black” Twitch. Tips: Paste Twitch folder into X:Riot GamesLeague of LegendsgameDATACharacters (If there is no folder named Characters, please create one by yourself).

Download: http://download.mmosite.com/download.php?id=4105

3.        “Bone Dragon Style” Cryophoenix. Tips: Paste Cryophoenix and RebirthEgg folders into X:Riot GamesLeague of LegendsgameDATACharacters (If there is no folder named Characters, please create one by yourself).
Download: http://download.mmosite.com/download.php?id=4106

All right, I must stop now. If you want more LoL hero skins, just look for more in the LoL skins download and share zone of our site. I am sure you will find more pleasant surprises.
This post has been modified on May 10 , 2010 03:09:24 AM by   Carolgarden.

Return to the list

Signature

Editor in Shop & Volunteer & Answer: Abigale
Email & MSN: community[at]mmosite.com
Wanna be our moderator? Go to our volunteer center to check the open positions.

Bookmark and share to your friends

May 10, 2010 2:21 am
Tnx for sharing! Where can I download the skin?

MMOsite Special Offer

May 10, 2010 4:36 am
    at leaguecraft
    Really useful guide, good job carol

Signature

May 10, 2010 11:19 am
    Leaguecraft Is An Amazing Site

Signature

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me
    May 26, 2010 8:21 am
    Thank you for the info. I've been watching some vids of LOL games and have been wondering where they get the skins for some of the champs as they weren't in the store.

Thanks again

Jun 11, 2010 12:28 pm
    hm... I will be photoshopping sooner, after all this doesnt look that complicated... You will need a bit of inspiration to do this but that will arrive in time...

Signature

Nov 12, 2010 5:02 am
    How do you create custom particles and effects?
    and there is a model changer do you know where i can find it?

MMOsite Special Offer

Nov 15, 2010 2:17 am
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by 83.*.*.160
      How do you create custom particles and effects?
      and there is a model changer do you know where i can find it?

I am not sure but it looks like there is a few more things involved there... not just retexturing...

Signature

Feb 24, 2011 11:15 am
      can you please do oen for kassadin and mordkaiser???

Feb 26, 2011 3:39 am
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by 84.*.*.235
      can you please do oen for kassadin and mordkaiser???

Go to www.leaguecraft.com and select a champion and click the skins tab. There you have them!

Signature

Feb 28, 2011 7:03 am
      Much more complex to put custom skins in with the new patcher.

Signature

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
      Through passion, I gain strength.
      Through strength, I gain power.
      Through power, I gain victory.
      Through victory, my chains are broken.
      The Force shall free me
      Mar 7, 2011 6:37 am
      Much more complex to put custom skins in with the new patcher.

MMOsite Special Offer

Mar 23, 2011 10:03 pm
        When I put custom skins after the patch, I often end up with errors... I've been experiencing  bugs all the time throughout the patch.. anyone kno if there is a fix for this?

Apr 8, 2011 8:57 pm
        cool

May 5, 2011 2:30 pm
        ASHE !

May 17, 2012 11:51 am
        [SMILE=19] i want to create a skin

May 17, 2012 1:47 pm
        WoW, thanks Abi/Carol.

Signature

MMOsite Special Offer

Sep 30, 2012 12:05 pm
          I was thinking about one for Fizz like Tide changer or blood swimmer....

Jun 18, 2013 11:29 pm
          basketball ziggs

Nov 2, 2013 8:01 am

I did not know that you cold edit the textures that easily...
          ...is that still possible?

Can you also edit the 3D models?

Quick Reply:Create your own skin in LOL

Smiles
          refresh
          Go Advanced »