This is a guide for other Ice tanks hitting 30 and wondering how to handle the Instances and the hard mode instances. Hope it will be helpful to some of you.:D
Here is my spec:
Storms - 4
Cryogenics - 7
Iconics - 4
Super Speed - 2
Rest of the skills have been spent in weapons; Staff as primary
as secondary (for certain bosses it is very nice to have a ranged wep).
Why chooses these powers?
- Use this for pulling, it is a great way to gain initial threat/aggro and deals a decent amount of damage. Also pulls your enemies to you if you have enough dominance.
- Use it nearly all the time, especially on packs of mobs, great for CC and makes it easier to tank.
- Is the most important ability in my opinion, during a fight it's always on cooldown (always use it whenever it is ready). It can also reflect mobs/bosses' "charge attack", which is very nice to block and reflect, something your healer will enjoy.
- Use it whenever the controller in the group can keep up power for me, it's very nice for your group members as it liberates them from control effects whilst increasing your own defense and toughness. A great ability.
Hard Light Shield
- This. This is one of my favorite abilities, costs near to no power, reduces the amount of damage you take considerably, another must have in my opinion.
- Some would argue that Hibernation is better because it costs half the amount of Supercharge compared to Ice Elemental. At lower levels it is indeed nice to have (had it myself), but at 30 and once you get some gear/do instances it becomes useless. Makes you unable to move, heals barely 1/4th of my health where-as Ice Elemental increases your hp by 4000 and increases your damage. In short; Personal taste here.
How I pull and keep aggro on me
I use Inescapable storm for initial aggro and to pull the mobs to me, then I pop Reflection as it damages everything around me. I then pop Ice Bash if it is on my loadout, if not I start using my melee combos whilst using Inescapable Storm/Reflection to keep aggro, and to keep the innate +% Defense/Toughness up at all times.
You should use Inescapable Storm often, using power abilities when you're in Tank Role increases your Defense by a ton (can't recall exact % atm) and it builds aggro and usually makes them attack you, if someone else in your group pulled aggro. - Other abilities work the same way, I choose to use Inescapable storm as it drags mobs that have already left me, back to me and ensures they stay on me.
That is it for pulling and keeping aggro, always use your Inescapable Storm to ensure the mobs stay on you and buffing your defense.
As for when to use the other abilities; Reflect whenever it is ready, Winter Ward if anyone is stuck or trapped or if you're about to take heavy damage and both Reflect and Hard Light Shield is still on Cooldown. Obviously I pop Hard Light Shield during intense moments of a fight or when the healer is running low on power.
I mentioned earlier that having a long range secondary weapon setup is very helpful, this is why; Quite a few of the different bosses in the hard mode instances hit like trucks, despite all the damage reducing abilities, but they are kite-able. Thus, long range weapon. I chose rifle as it has easy combos and I can move whilst shooting, makes using abilities for aggro and survival much easier.
Combos in Ice Elemental form that I use: Tapping left mouse button 3 times ending with hold left mouse-button is close to a martial arts/brawling combo ending with a jump-and-punch the ground creating a similar effect to Freeze Wave in the storms tree.
Holding right mousebutton does almost the same, but have a chance of inflicting Frostbite (I believe, it's not very informative on the combos sadly), tapping right mouse button will cause the Ice Elemental to smack his hands together and send a 'ball' of ice flying - does decent damage and can also cause Frostbite effect.
What I do when in Ice Elemental; Use Ice Bash for extra damage on the melee attacks, Reflection for obvious reasons, Inescapable Storm and Freeze Wind for CC (turn them into blocks of ice). That's basically it for Ice Elemental form, at least what I do in it.
Though, the main reason I pop Ice Elemental is to get the additional hp (avoid death) and the extra stats it brings (makes it easier for the healer).
Credits to: DCUO official forum