Sponsor

Quick Jump Full Board List
Forum Home DC Universe Online DCUO Ice Tank Guide

DCUO Ice Tank Guide

Mar 31, 2012 11:35 pm
This is a guide for other Ice tanks hitting 30 and wondering how to handle the Instances and the hard mode instances. Hope it will be helpful to some of you.:D

Here is my spec:

Powers
Storms - 4
Inescapable Storm
Arctic Gust
Bitter winds
Freeze Wave

Cryogenics - 7
Cold Snap
Ice Bash
Reflection
Ice Elemental
Frost Snipe
Ice Boulder
Winter Ward

Iconics - 4
Hard-Light Shield
Nanoweave Armor
Powerful Resistance
Super-Strength

Skills

Super Speed - 2
Speed Force
Intertial Flywheel

Rest of the skills have been spent in weapons; Staff as primary and Rifle as secondary (for certain bosses it is very nice to have a ranged wep).

Why chooses these powers?
Inescapable Storm - Use this for pulling, it is a great way to gain initial threat/aggro and deals a decent amount of damage. Also pulls your enemies to you if you have enough dominance.

Bitter Winds - Use it nearly all the time, especially on packs of mobs, great for CC and makes it easier to tank.

Reflection - Is the most important ability in my opinion, during a fight it's always on cooldown (always use it whenever it is ready). It can also reflect mobs/bosses' "charge attack", which is very nice to block and reflect, something your healer will enjoy.

Winter Ward - Use it whenever the controller in the group can keep up power for me, it's very nice for your group members as it liberates them from control effects whilst increasing your own defense and toughness. A great ability.

Hard Light Shield - This. This is one of my favorite abilities, costs near to no power, reduces the amount of damage you take considerably, another must have in my opinion.

Ice Elemental - Some would argue that Hibernation is better because it costs half the amount of Supercharge compared to Ice Elemental. At lower levels it is indeed nice to have (had it myself), but at 30 and once you get some gear/do instances it becomes useless. Makes you unable to move, heals barely 1/4th of my health where-as Ice Elemental increases your hp by 4000 and increases your damage. In short; Personal taste here.

How I pull and keep aggro on me
I use Inescapable storm for initial aggro and to pull the mobs to me, then I pop Reflection as it damages everything around me. I then pop Ice Bash if it is on my loadout, if not I start using my melee combos whilst using Inescapable Storm/Reflection to keep aggro, and to keep the innate +% Defense/Toughness up at all times.

You should use Inescapable Storm often, using power abilities when you're in Tank Role increases your Defense by a ton (can't recall exact % atm) and it builds aggro and usually makes them attack you, if someone else in your group pulled aggro. - Other abilities work the same way, I choose to use Inescapable storm as it drags mobs that have already left me, back to me and ensures they stay on me.

That is it for pulling and keeping aggro, always use your Inescapable Storm to ensure the mobs stay on you and buffing your defense.

As for when to use the other abilities; Reflect whenever it is ready, Winter Ward if anyone is stuck or trapped or if you're about to take heavy damage and both Reflect and Hard Light Shield is still on Cooldown. Obviously I pop Hard Light Shield during intense moments of a fight or when the healer is running low on power.

I mentioned earlier that having a long range secondary weapon setup is very helpful, this is why; Quite a few of the different bosses in the hard mode instances hit like trucks, despite all the damage reducing abilities, but they are kite-able. Thus, long range weapon. I chose rifle as it has easy combos and I can move whilst shooting, makes using abilities for aggro and survival much easier.

Additional Notes
Combos in Ice Elemental form that I use: Tapping left mouse button 3 times ending with hold left mouse-button is close to a martial arts/brawling combo ending with a jump-and-punch the ground creating a similar effect to Freeze Wave in the storms tree.

Holding right mousebutton does almost the same, but have a chance of inflicting Frostbite (I believe, it's not very informative on the combos sadly), tapping right mouse button will cause the Ice Elemental to smack his hands together and send a 'ball' of ice flying - does decent damage and can also cause Frostbite effect.

What I do when in Ice Elemental; Use Ice Bash for extra damage on the melee attacks, Reflection for obvious reasons, Inescapable Storm and Freeze Wind for CC (turn them into blocks of ice). That's basically it for Ice Elemental form, at least what I do in it.

Though, the main reason I pop Ice Elemental is to get the additional hp (avoid death) and the extra stats it brings (makes it easier for the healer).

Credits to: DCUO official forum

Return to the list

Signature

Bookmark and share to your friends

Jun 21, 2012 4:10 am
Great guide. Much appreciated.[SMILE=1]

-Migx
toon name: Maot

MMOsite Special Offer

Jul 10, 2012 10:48 pm
    I was looking for this the whole time!!! BTW thanks,,

Jul 29, 2012 1:16 am
    hey do i max everysingle skill in the bow category ?????

Aug 4, 2012 7:52 pm
    I just hit 30 with my Ice/Brawler, this is very close to what I am using myself minus ice boulder, find it kinda lame and even slower to swing than my fists lol, I know brawling is slow but I am going to pick up martial arts as well. I would love to chat in game, I am on the PCPVE server and my name is Canadian Thumper

Aug 12, 2012 7:51 pm
    why rifle and not bow as ranged? I mean bow gives toughness

Oct 9, 2012 4:31 am
    [b]Reply [url=http://forum.mmosite.com/thread/2/44/20120331/DCUO_Ice_Tank_Guide-4f77f737b70a19313-1.html#p4f77f737b70a19]0#[/url] [i]luciferrate[/i][/b] [br] [br]brilliant thanks mate :) i now know what i was doing wrong i wondered why i didnt seem to pull enough aggro

MMOsite Special Offer

Oct 28, 2012 7:10 am
      Why you get Freeze Wave?

Dec 19, 2012 8:33 pm
      To get that othed power

Ps3 dcuo name: TANKRUSH
      Pvp but that doesn't matter you can phase world;)

Apr 8, 2013 12:37 pm
      This is a mediocre loadout at best. There is absolutely no reason to use Hard Light Shield as an Ice tank when you have 4 powers in your tree that offer the same or better shield, use less power, have a faster cool down, and offer additional beneficial effects. Ditch HLS for Shatter Restraints. It costs less power, is an instant cast (HLS takes a couple seconds just to put up) with breakout and immunity even from heavy stuns for you and 3 others, has knockback, and a significantly shorter cool down.

There is NEVER a reason to use super strength as a tank (Not really much of one for a DPS either except that its cool to pick up big stuff). And Nanoweave Armor is pointless when running ice (just like specing into def with skill points) because you will hit the defense cap naturally as you acquire gear. Take Powerful Resistance as Ice is lacking in HP and more HP is never a bad thing.

Your loadout is also lacking an effective juggle. Bitter Winds is awesome (has the same shield as HLS by the way) but has a long cooldown. Try Freeze Wave. It’s an AOE knockback that cools off almost instantly and will root and cause DoT to enemies that are inflicted with Frostbite (from Inescapable Storms and Bitter Winds).

Also your advice about reflect is very misleading. Reflect makes you all but invincible (Shields for 100% dom + 10000 hp, then applies your def damage mitigation, so at the cap gives u an additional 40000+ HP) for 6 seconds and should primarily be used when you know there is a big attack coming or when your HP suddenly drops quickly. If it is constantly on cool down and a big attack comes you will not be able to do anything to mitigate the damage. Your primary shields come from Bitter Winds, Winter Ward (also reflects damage), and Shatter Restraints (can inflict root and DoT); all of which give you a 100% Resto + 100% Dom shield (just like HLS, there is some debate over this value as testing seems to indicate that they are currently using 100% resto + 200% dom even though the update release notes claim 100% dom).

Ice Elemental is OK, but you will more likely get more use out of an additionally shield + immunity move. A good base Ice tank loadout is Inescapable Storms, Bitter Winds, Reflect, Freeze Wave, Winter Ward, and Shatter Restraints.

Pull in with IS and then knock up and apply a shield with BW. If you or your team gets CC'd use WW or SR to breakout and reapply a shield. Pop Reflect when a big hit is coming and use FW to juggle groups of adds in conjunction with BW.

Be sure to use a power every 8 seconds to maintain your defense buff (+90% def., which is why Nanoweave Armor and spending skill points on def is pointless, you can tell if you have the defense buff by the shield icon under you health bar) and to hold aggro, which lasts for 12 sec but can be reapplied every 8 sec.

Apr 8, 2013 12:57 pm
      ^^^
      Update to the above post, I misread the original guide. You already took Powerful Resistance, but did not take Intimidating Gaze (+25 dom, and thusly +50 dom in tank stance). Dom is the most important stat to a pure Ice tank as it directly affects the strength of your shields. I had thought Intimidating Gaze was already mentioned in the guide, but as it wasn't this is what you should take in lieu of Nanoweave Armor. Specing into Dom with skill points should also be priority one, then resto, then HP for a pure Ice tank build.

Aug 25, 2013 1:59 pm
      What a know it all, hater. Person Pref bro.

MMOsite Special Offer

Sep 28, 2013 12:03 pm
        Hey #9 wwicked u know what ur saying and #1 thx for the guid helpped out alot.

Dcuo name NewAgeSteel [SMILE=1]

mobile forum
        posted via cellphone

Dec 26, 2013 11:34 pm
        How do I avoid cool downs from shields like say for instance if I'm in paradox?

mobile forum
        posted via cellphone

May 3, 2014 8:47 am
        [b]Reply [url=http://forum.mmosite.com/thread/2/44/20120331/DCUO_Ice_Tank_Guide-4f77f737b70a19313-1.html#p516321400a0810]10#[/url] [i]50.*.*.50[/i][/b] [br] [br]What about using SP for the Defense and Toughness? Should that come first before Dom or do you stick with Dom first?

Jul 15, 2014 12:51 pm
        Yo this ruffness I'm tank my cr a100 n this really help me. 2 u guys thx [SMILE=21]

mobile forum
        posted via cellphone

Quick Reply:DCUO Ice Tank Guide

Smiles
        refresh
        Go Advanced »