Sponsor

Quick Jump Full Board List
Forum Home VR Games Is VR Gaming a Dangerous Activity?

Is VR Gaming a Dangerous Activity?

Mar 25, 2016 12:14 am

When the Virtual Reality gaming topic first emerged, I had a few thoughts about the dangers that it could bring.
The most obvious one was that if you have a device that completely covers your eyes, preventing you from being aware of your environment, wouldn't that be quite dangerous physically? I mean, imagine being in a room with a VR device on your head, and perhaps even headphones covering your ears, which means that you are completely isolated from the real world. How do you avoid getting physically hurt by not being able to see the real objects that are near you?

To make it clear, in this article I do not wish to discuss the mental dangers of VR gaming, but instead, the dangers that originate from the fact that you are basically blinded in the real world by jumping into a virtual one. Plus, if you are not living alone but perhaps with your better half, does VR gaming not completely lock out people who are basically next to you?

But as I am focusing on physical dangers, I am quite sure that it is not impossible that people will actually get hurt while playing with a VR device on their heads and it will probably be crucial to make sure your environment does not have any dangerous items when you dive into VR gaming. If you look at how most gamers behave while playing, you will often see them unconsciously moving their body when an exciting moment occurs. In PvP especially, I tend to move around my body and head a lot when something frustrating or surprising happens, and I can only imagine what I would do if I was playing a VR MMO. I would probably be flying across the room knocking anything over that is in my way.

I have also come across an interesting theory which basically mentions the possibility of a burglar entering your house while you have a VR device on your head. By being blocked from seeing the real world, you might just end up getting in a far worse situation if you are unaware that someone unwanted is nearby but you are unable to react in time.

As VR is an industry that is about to go large, the emerging dangers and health issues caused by VR gaming will be quite a hot topic. Do you guys agree, that by being basically blind in the real world because of VR devices blocking your view, you might end up hurting yourself?

Return to the list

Bookmark and share to your friends

Mar 26, 2016 3:30 pm
Picture #1 = Safe activity
Picture #2 = Dangerous activity

On a serious note, if VR ever reaches a mental level of injection, I will only be interested in it then, but at this point, having to wear crap on my face and waving my hands like a jackass while I'm standing in a baby crib.. that's just demeaning and F**King sad.

MMOsite Special Offer

Mar 26, 2016 3:59 pm
    VR? What? That's not VR, just plugging a effing screen infront of your face and pretending/calling it's "Virtual Reality" when it's none different then standing, sitting or lying infront of a Screen itself. There's no literal difference. I'm NOT gonna put a screen DIRECTLY into my eyes and cause probability of health issues, cause Human Perception of the Mind and Body is a bit fickle and weird like that.

Anybody who tries this should be aware that this may potentially be dangerous. It's the most stupidest idea made, no matter what they tell you. And Allwynd is kinda right there. It looks friggen stupid and just...pathetic. We got TVs, PCs for that, not a Faceworn Screen! Holy molly's bubble sake industry...

Mar 27, 2016 2:51 am
    Rly Driving is too dengerous and everyone does it, so what is the point?

Mar 27, 2016 4:52 pm
    I firmly agree on this subject.
    VR is dangerous.
    We need our eyes & mind set, these two are far too precious.
    There is no need for us to have a computer screen set onto our pupils.
    We are not made to stay focused on one point for to long a periods of time, this is how our vision is set to diminish & head towards lose of eye sight & focus, this will become evident very quickly if you play for very long periods. Along with this is a delusional experience with some mental flash backs from the enclosed experience for long periods. The mind will become tricked into thinking you still in the VR world. its a known fact This experience happened with the 3d movies, it would take a while for you coming out of theatre as you were still thinking differently for a while trying to settle back into normality but this wasn't in your face so it wasn't as unpleasant as it could of been. VR is far stronger in its presence & will have a more negative effect on your mindset.

Mar 27, 2016 11:53 pm
    I am pretty sure it'll ruin your eyes in the long run.

Go ahead and test now, stick your phone 1 inch away from your eye, and just keeps on staring at it for hours, see how your eyes feels afterwards.

At most, you should only play 1 hour of game with VR... any longer and you'll bound to cause eye issues.

Apr 27, 2016 1:09 am
    If you can manage to afford a VR gaming console, odds are you're able to
    afford an environment where it's safe to be blinded while playing (an empty room or similar)

The effect of playing with a screen glued to your eyes is something I feel is a greater danger, especially because this will damage your vision on the long run..
    As long as it's managed, maybe, but it's a fact that some gamers just don't care too much about
    their health is the problem.

MMOsite Special Offer

Aug 22, 2016 4:01 am
      Not at all. But my back tires easily coz of dat heavy glasses

Oct 18, 2016 3:17 am
      I tested it just recently and found it very exciting and fun - it is pretty much the most immersive gaming experience you can get. Perfect for survival horror games, racing games and flight simulators, I think.
      And japanese dating games maybe haha.
      I really want to experience more games with it.

May 12, 2017 1:19 am
      VR in front of their PCs, that seems kinda dangerous xD

Signature

Quick Reply:Is VR Gaming a Dangerous Activity?

Smiles
      refresh
      Go Advanced »