Sponsor

Quick Jump Full Board List
Forum Home Tree of Savior Tree of Savior: Returning to The Roots of RPG Gaming

Tree of Savior: Returning to The Roots of RPG Gaming

Mar 11, 2016 12:00 am

RPGs used to be all about the isometric view and exploring dangerous dungeons for nifty loot. Nowadays, the online gaming industry has completely reshaped our perceptions about RPGs, and it is time to press that hard reset button.
Tree of Savior is a lovely little game that revives old concepts that RPG fans have been missing for years, all around the world. Not only does it strengthen the old RPG approaches but also wraps them up in a JRPG-like style that defined gaming in the late 80s and 90s for many veteran gamers.

The way I see Tree of Savior, it is basically a wake-up call for all developers out there, that adding something new to the MMORPG genre is not always necessary, as old, working ideas also need to be kept alive, especially after realizing that older MMORPGs kept players locked down for years, whereas nowadays, people get bored of MMOs after a few months of pointless gaming.

Tree of Savior has beautiful visuals despite being not photorealistic because that is what games are all about in the present, bringing environments to players that are as close to reality as you can possibly get, but don't we jump into MMORPGS in many cases to get away from reality?

Overall I believe that Tree of Savior is a fantastic game and even though isometric view is not that popular today, the game might just restore its former glory. Not long is left for the OBT to arrive in the West, and hopefully, I'll see you guys there.

Return to the list

Bookmark and share to your friends

Mar 11, 2016 8:49 pm
I really love the idea, and the nostalgic impression it gives me but in the end, I want a 3 dimensional world to explore, I know it will have it's niche gamer fans but even when there was Tibia and Runescape, which one survived and which one died ?

MMOsite Special Offer

Mar 11, 2016 11:27 pm
    3D is so overrated and the quality of the entire game itself gets diminished because devs and players focus more on graphics than the game itself. which to me is funny because its actually harder to make 2D games like this than 3D games. i like a 2D game every now and then. and Makevali youre forgetting about Ragnarok Online, Maplestory, La tale, and various other games that have been around 10+ years and are 2D.

Mar 12, 2016 1:58 am
    My 2 cents, no matter what number of dimensional we like to play in, when things get refine in art, craft, everything improves or at the very least have more room to do stuff.  Very good example would be any old dated game like FF7 and then compare it to lets say FF13.  Those that had played both will know what's the difference between the two and not just how pretty things gotten but how that every D could improve the details/dept the artist's world can expand.  What is the difference between 2D and 3D?  

For the dimensional-challenge, every D gets added to it, it brings that world closer to ours, in short, IT brings in a ton more details than most ppl would care to see, and every D the artist has more room to create within the world which enable them to craft richer, higher, bigger, more in dept stories or add that jello-bounce-dynamic that we ALL love in our games.  

The difference is quite large for those that care to look for them and of course, to those don't care for details would not even notice they even exist, its as simple as that.  In response to this article, the throw back to days of old "art style" comment.  I only see game companies don't what to grable for a winning title as pose to just SELLing more copies of what sells in the past.  

Not saying Tree of Savior is the evil entity here like most game companies are doing these days.  The reason for Tree of Savior' existen was due the lack of a proper sequel, so pretty much the FANs of the series came together and crafted yet another fun world, however, I didn't get the chance to play this game in CBT so I can't give much opinions about it.  What I can say, it looks pretty good for what it is and imo better than old Ragnarok Online.  I do hope with VR almost in our hands, the gaming world would expand to bigger realm.

Mar 13, 2016 1:58 pm
    Reply 2#  ThaBeastKing

Tree of Savior is a 3D game.

Also, how it's ToS a RPG? You know that things like having stats, leveling up or being isometric or turn based doesn't make a game a RPG? RPG is about getting in a character, desicion making that affects how the story progresses and and how other characters see you. Basically it's about character-driven storytelling, something lacking in many MMO"RPG"s. Your post in the end didn't explain why ToS in as RPG.

ToS is officially catalogued as an "online multiplayer".

Mar 13, 2016 10:08 pm
    Reply 4#  Chocorroles

"Many men online role playing girls"

Mar 14, 2016 12:16 am
    Want 3D? go play Ragnarok 2... lol... that game seems deserted...

Anyways, Tree of Savior... still waiting to see what things they're doing to the international version... most importantly about Trading...

MMOsite Special Offer

Mar 14, 2016 3:51 am
      Reply 4#  Chocorroles

you lost me at 3D. its not. at best its a 2.5D. and to answer your question, ToS is an RPG in pretty much every aspect. ever play the game?

Mar 14, 2016 2:08 pm
      Quote: Originally Posted by ThaBeastKing at Mar 14, 2016 3:51 am
      Reply 4#  Chocorroles

you lost me at 3D. its not. at best its a 2.5D. and to answer your question, ToS is an RPG in pretty much every aspect. ever play the game?     

Alright kid

2.5d would apply if the game was a side-scrolled. It isn't. You can freely rotate.

Also please, elaborate how ToS has all the RPG elementas I mentioned before. Hint: you can't. The game even focuses more in collecting items and leveling than questing and story progression.

Mar 18, 2016 3:15 pm
      Reply 8#  Chocorroles

no, just because a game is sidescrolling doesnt make it 2.5D. elsword online is a perfect example. that is a 3D game. Tree of saviour, Conquer Online, Angels Online are just a few examples of a 2.5D game. this game is not 3D. and youre obviously not familiar with how they make games like this. i took 3D animation class so let me inform you. did you know the fighting game guilty gear x3rd had the same process when that game was made, as they used both 2d and 3d assets, but the end result, aside from the background, the characters you fight with themselves are 2D. Tree of saviour had the same process and it was explained in a dev blog they posted LONG before the game came out. tree of saviour is NOT a 3D game.

May 16, 2016 7:30 pm
      Reply 9#  ThaBeastKing

what makes a game three dimensional is the presence of three axes: x, y and z.
      i understand what you mean by the characters not being entirely 3D as some assets (the hair, i believe) are
      only two dimensional.

however, it sounded like Chocorrole was talking about the gameplay itself. the characters can move left and right,
      up and down. those are two axes. if i remember correctly, the characters can also jump and fall. this introduces the third axis.

the way i see it, there is no right or wrong answer in regards to whether the game is 2.5D or 3D
      because the definition is highly subjective.
      a game where all the assets are 2D but all three axes are present can be considered 3D the same way
      another game wherein all models are 3D but the game is a sidescroller can be called 2D by some.
      reason being there is no universally accepted definition of a 2D/3D game (as far as i know anyway).

just my two cents :P

Quick Reply:Tree of Savior: Returning to The Roots of RPG Gaming

Smiles
      refresh
      Go Advanced »