Sponsor

Quick Jump Full Board List
Forum Home New MMO Discussion Nosgoth's Cancellation: The Fate of A Dying Genre

Nosgoth's Cancellation: The Fate of A Dying Genre

Apr 10, 2016 5:58 am

Nosgoth is the next in line Square Enix title that is set to be cancelled and this did not come as much of a surprise.
Many of you must have tried the PvP focused MMO game that pits vampires against humans in instanced zone matches. I have never really been a fan of level-less MMORPGs where all you do is fight each other by entering matches through a hub and I assume that others feel similarly about Nosgoth's overdone PvP emphasis.

"A Farewell To Arms - Nosgoth’s Final Days Are Upon Us"

Square Enix seems to be doing a bit of spring time cleaning up around the house as Nosgoth is not the only title that has been cancelled by the company. We have seen the shutting down of the console versions of Final Fantasy XI and also the end of the Triad Wars game, and now it is Nosgoth's turn to get finished off.

Those who wish to continue playing the game, you can do so until May 31, when the servers will be permanently shut down. Oghamsmith, SE's Nosgoth community manager posted a notice earlier that described the situation in a nutshell. "It has been more than two and a half years since we partnered with the wonderfully mad men and women at Psyonix to embark upon a rather ambitious adventure," he said. "Our goal was to bring the world of Nosgoth to life in a new and challenging manner; a manner which allowed players to wage asymmetric warfare against each other as both human and vampire-kind."

The main reason for the cancellation of Nosgoth is the under-sized player base that was not enough to keep the game going. He also added that all purchases made since March 1 will be automatically refunded to the players, and no further purchases can be made. Game content that has been purchased since March 1 will also remain available regardless of being refunded.

"On behalf of the entire Nosgoth team we want to thank you all for your feedback, support and dedication to the game throughout Nosgoth’s life".

I was quite surprised to see Square Enix initially taking the risk to run a game that is simply PvP focused with not enough RPG elements for players to enjoy and there are quite a few other similar games out there that are most likely to end up in a similar situation as Nosgoth. Nowadays, MMO gamers hunger for huge content, in-depth character customization and character progression, and games such as Nosgoth cannot provide enough activities to please a significant player base. How do you guys feel about the game's cancellation and the future of its genre?

Return to the list

Bookmark and share to your friends

Apr 11, 2016 9:29 am
Feeling bad for it :( Nosgoth was a good game, stuff just became a little boring after you finished colecting most things

MMOsite Special Offer

Apr 11, 2016 11:44 am
    I loved it when it first came out. When I stopped playing (too bad pc, got tired of playing on 15 fps), it looked very promising. I was very disappointed when I heard it was dying :(
    I'm still happy I got to play this game. I bet there will be tons of people stumbling across random gameplay on youtube from nosgoth and are like "WHATT??? WHY DID IT SHUT DOWNNNNN IT LOOKED SO AWESOME"

Apr 11, 2016 3:46 pm
    Nosgoth is one of those game I never try, for obvious reason, not my type of game.  For any game dying and fading into oblivion is always a sad thing, but I won't miss.  Nosgoth was a junk game to start with, PvP focus no wonder its dying.

~ We play mmo games with friends or making new friends not fight/kill them >_> foolish junk pvp ~

Jan 4, 2017 2:02 pm
    I loved Nosgoth so much, sad to see it go. I originally stopped playing because queue times took 15 minutes with so few players. Regardless, it was really fun to play and I thought that it was very well done. People complain about PvP only, but several titles have made it work. Sad to see it go [SMILE=26]

mobile forum
    posted via cellphone

Quick Reply:Nosgoth's Cancellation: The Fate of A Dying Genre

Smiles
    refresh
    Go Advanced »