Sponsor

Quick Jump Full Board List
Forum Home DotA 2 DOTA 2 is F2P "with a twist"

DOTA 2 is F2P "with a twist"

Apr 22, 2012 11:04 pm
DOTA 2 will be free to play, but "with a twist", according to Valve boss Gabe Newell.

Speaking in an interview on the Seven Day Cooldown podcast, Newell explained that Valve is attempting to put a fresh spin on the free-to-play model.

"It's going to be free-to-play - it'll have some twists, but that's the easiest way for people to think about it," Newell said.

He didn't offer specifics as to exactly how it will work when the game launches, but hinted that players who are "valuable" to the community might get some kind of special treatment.

"The issue that we're struggling with quite a bit is something I've kind of talked about before, which is how do you properly value people's contributions to a community?

"We're trying to figure out ways so that people who are more valuable to everybody else [are] recognised and accommodated. We all know people where if they're playing we want to play, and there are other people where if they're playing we would [rather] be on the other side of the planet.

"It's just a question of coming up with mechanisms that recognise and reward people who are doing things that are valuable to other groups of people."

What do you think of DotA 2's "F2P" model? Like it or not? And what kind of model will it be? Maybe f2p with in-game shops?

Via: Eurogamer

Return to the list

Signature

Bookmark and share to your friends

Apr 22, 2012 11:35 pm
I guess it will be more skins and some other special items without destroying the balance of the game in the cash shop

MMOsite Special Offer

Apr 23, 2012 12:16 am
    It will be the same as always and I honestly dislike the idea of f2p.
    Well let's see what they want to do, but I will probably spend 0 € for it.

Signature

Under construction...
    Apr 23, 2012 4:17 am
    f2p is kind of standard online gaming industry model nowadays. I don't mind paying $20-$30 to buy the game to support it and maybe still spend $5 sometimes to get limited custom hero skin like I did with HON. F2P is kind of destroying HON, people could make tons of account, then  go in with mega-feed and destroy the fun of everyone ..

Apr 23, 2012 4:18 am
    Free to play, but with a twist = Free to play but with hats

Apr 23, 2012 4:36 am
    f2p is OK as long as it's similar to LoL model p2p=i never and ever play it b2p=sometimes ok but i bought Dungeon Defenders on Steam and i feel bad about it now seems like waste of money and i bought 3 champs for RP in Lol and it seems to be ok :D

Apr 23, 2012 7:27 am
    f2p like lol?
    no thanks i wanna play all heroes without buying them ^^
    If i need to buy heroes i say bb to dota2~

Signature

Under construction...

MMOsite Special Offer

Apr 23, 2012 11:41 am
      Valve is a bunch of smart people. Even if you look at DOTA2 right now it's completely amazing and imo beats LoL and HoN hands down. I'm kinda curious about what the twist is. There doesn't seem to be a shop or skins feature at all some i'm a bit confused on what they're gonna do.

Signature

Apr 23, 2012 12:59 pm
      cosmetics ^^
      check on dota 2 wiki

Apr 23, 2012 1:23 pm
      So Free to play means, Download off site/ steam and start playing, right? Or is it Buy to play?

Apr 23, 2012 3:00 pm
      The twist is: Players will bad behavior will have to pay in order to keep playing.

This means no BR and w3w, hurray.

(no, BR and w3w is not the same as Brazilians and Filipinos, is not hard to understand unless you are one yourself)

Apr 23, 2012 10:40 pm
      Reply 7#  ~Zephyra~

double exp perhaps? Or custom map but you have to buy?

MMOsite Special Offer

Apr 23, 2012 11:30 pm
        Wiki anyone can put that and valve hasn't actually said anything. And cosmetics doesn't seem like a real twist since everyone else is already doing that.
        Double exp seems good but what's lvls for in the first place? Custom maps? well doesn't seem that great since that's more of SC2's side.

Signature

Apr 24, 2012 12:19 pm
        The twist is that they are going to reward "good" players that dont feed on purpose and help out the community, the bad people who troll and feed will get some kind of suspension or bann ect.

Apr 24, 2012 1:03 pm
        it's hard to differ between a troll and a  new player.

Signature

Under construction...

Quick Reply:DOTA 2 is F2P "with a twist"

Smiles
        refresh
        Go Advanced »