IS-3 (Object 703) - Soviet heavy tanks of World War II, was launched into production in its last days and not had time to take part in it. Therefore, this war machine more often considered to be one of the first post-war Soviet tanks. The car continued to line tanks "Joseph Stalin" and got the third index. Due to the nature frontal reservations on a "pike nose" was nicknamed "Pike."
Creation of a new heavy tank project, code-named "Kirovets-1" began in the late summer of 1944 and had its own history. Group of researchers, led by engineer-colonel Alexander Zavyalov, studied in the field of tank battle of Kursk battle character Damage caused by projectiles in tanks. Attention was drawn to the massive defeat tanks in the front part of the hull and turret. Response to the results of these studies and was a project of the new tank IS-3.The main requirements were to improve security. Required to replace the cast construction bow welded "to ensure its impenetrable in the position of the tank and anti-armor piercing projectiles from guns tanks" Tiger "and" Panther "from all distances." Needs work and the tower as the most vulnerable place IP-2.Given the experience of the military operation the JS, the design of running gear, power plant and transmission of IP-3 left unchanged. Housing welded from rolled armor plates and had cast armor parts. The design of gable sloping nose resolves the issue with the placement of the driver's hatch (the previous models the JS hatch was absent), significantly improve visibility from the driver's seat in the "in traveling" and provide a high frontal armor protection of the hull. To reduce fire fuel tanks moved from the crew compartment into the engine. Armament of the tank remains the same: 122-mm gun D-25 and coaxial 7.62-mm machine gun DT, on the roof of the tower is installed a 12.7-mm anti-aircraft machine gun DShK. Course and aft guns were missing.It is interesting to EC-3 was constructed slewing tower. The drive was equipped with a commander's control. Commander could, keeping in view the purpose of its inspection device, press a button installed on the device, and turn the tower into a given direction along the shortest path. When the line of sight coincides with the axis of the gun barrel tower stopped.From 18 to 24 December 1944 at the site took the state tests IS-3. Tests were carried out mileage and fire from ACS "Hornet" and ISU-122 armor-piercing projectile from a distance of 600-800 m on the move tank behaved satisfactorily in attacks showed that the upper front hull not penetrated by 88-mm armor-piercing projectile with a 350 m ( projectile left a dent depth 28 mm), and 122-mm armor-piercing projectile from a distance of 690 m (projectile left a dent depth of 35 mm). But his forehead was broken tower 88-mm armor-piercing projectile from a distance of 300 m, and the sides and stern with 1000 mAfter military trials "Object 703" presented Zhukov and Vasilevsky. Marshals reported on the new machine to Stalin, who signed the decision to admit the tank by the Red Army and its production at the Chelyabinsk Kirov Plant.Despite numerous rumors and speculation, IS-3 late in the war. At the time of signing the surrender of Germany, all the tanks were still in the factory and in the fighting did not participate. They were not involved in the fighting in the Far East in August - September 1945, only 7 September 1945 a tank regiment, armed with these consisted fighting vehicles took part in the parade of the Red Army in Berlin to celebrate the victory over Japan, which produced a strong impression on the Western allies of the USSR anti-Hitler coalition.IS-3 is practically not supplied allies of the USSR in the Warsaw Pact. Two tanks were handed over to Poland in 1946 to review the design of machines and training of trainers. Later tanks were used in parades and as teaching until 1970. Another tank was passed in 1950 in Czechoslovakia.The greatest number of IS-3 was delivered to Egypt, received a total of 100 vehicles, as basic model and the IS-3M. The first of these came in the late 1950s, the main part of tanks was delivered in 1962-1967, respectively. As part of the Egyptian army IS-3 were used in the Six Day War in 1967. Significant progress in the course of that war IS-3 is not reached, being generally in the hands maloobuchennyh crews and acting in a highly mobile war against the more mobile and generally modern tanks. During the retreat of the Egyptian army is simply abandoned their tanks, including IP-3. All Egyptians in the war lost 72 tanks of this type. By the Yom Kippur War of 1973, the Egyptian army was still one regiment, complete IS-3, but information about his participation in the war there.A certain amount of wrecked or abandoned by the Egyptians in 1967, cars were seized by Israel and operated equity armored forces until the early 70's, both as combat vehicles and armored trucks. In combat as the JS-3 Israelis were not used, but some cars with dismantled engine and transmission in place which housed additional ammunition was used in 1969-1970, during the War of Attrition as fixed emplacements. However, two of them after discharging ammunition were re-captured by Egyptian forces.A significant number of IS-3 was transferred DPRK, in the 1960s, armed with the Korean People's Army had at least two regiments equipped with them.Around the world, survived a sufficiently large number of tanks IS-3 as museum exhibits or in the form of monuments. One is mounted on a pedestal in Chelyabinsk - the home of "Object 703" as a symbol of Tankograd.