Sponsor

Quick Jump Full Board List
Forum Home General Discussion What do you think about being arrested for wearing VR in public?

What do you think about being arrested for wearing VR in public?

Jun 29, 2017 12:54 am
It is reported that a Russian activist Katrin Nenasheva was arrested earlier this month for wearing a VR headset as she explored the Red Square in the capital city of Moscow.

Katrin Nenasheva had been walking the streets and sites of Moscow wearing a VR headset as part of her project - Between Here and There. The aim was to show off daily life in Moscow to Russian psychiatric patients whilst also raising awareness for them through the publicity.

Clinic patients determined her actions and itineraries, and they told her to go to Red Square. But she was met with resistence and the police arrested her for wearing the device in Red Square.

"In virtual reality one must not be in a public place. Here we have the real world." This is what the police said. Katrin Nenasheva was then taken to a police precinct, but later released without charges.

It might seem stupid and not safe to wear a VR headset in public, but being arrested for wearing VR sounds ridiculous to me. On the other hand, I don't think it is feasible to show your audience the daily life of a city when you're wandering in the streets blindfolded with a VR headset. If she cannot see the world around, how can her audience see it? What do you think?

Return to the list

Bookmark and share to your friends

Jun 30, 2017 12:00 am
Well I think it's silly, as long as they are not disturbing other people, I don't see what's wrong with it. Although not seeing anything in crowded street might be a bit dangerous. Depends where you are walking I guess.

MMOsite Special Offer

Jul 1, 2017 9:54 am
    Don't VR while driving. Sounds stupid, but you know there's someone who's going to do it.

Jul 1, 2017 4:21 pm
    Come on are we are idiots to even think VR is safe!! Just look how stupid she is!.
    Using a VR in public is dumb as we do not know what sort of tech she/he is using,
    So yes ARREST her/him or confiscate the VR set!
    The very move of wearing VR in public is wrong and could very well be extremely offensive or a security breach!
    Also drones should be banned and made to be only flyable to fully experienced pilots who know passed government rules & regulations pf law of airspace for anyone who wants to flya aircraft. this also can be a security breach of a country safety.
    We live in a unpredictable world and we should be prepared and have safety measures like this in place in order to not allow stupidity and safety to others.

Jul 2, 2017 3:28 am
    Only in stupid Russia ! Also heard they banned Jehovah's Witnesses... that is just a religious organisation spread all over the world. Those people are the most peaceful you can find... and they labelled them as extremists ?! On that logic we should ban all christians, catolics, muslims, buddhists, etc.
    I bet there isn't even a law for this kind of thing... I wonder what law did she break ? The only way this could have been handled would be with a warning. Btw... why don't we arrest all teens that walk on the street listening to music on their earphones ?!... they too are causing danger for themselves cause they cannot hear if a car is about to hit them and the driver uses the horn.

Jul 3, 2017 5:03 am
    THAT REDHEAD LADY IN THE FIRST PIC THOUGH... AWESOME !

Jul 3, 2017 10:36 pm
    [b]Reply [url=http://forum.mmosite.com/thread/2/2/20170629/What_do_you_think_about_being_arrested_for_wearing_VR_in_public-5954b2229c2a7a613-1.html#p5958cacad6bb35]4#[/url] [i]86.*.*.111[/i][/b] [br] [br]I'm simply amazed by your stupidity, one of the jobs of the police is to make sure to ensure the public safety (this includes the safety of oneself and not only that of others), wearing a VR set in one of the busiest public places isn't a safe thing to do for obvious reasons. She wasn't charged for anything, she was just taken in for safety reasons obviously.

MMOsite Special Offer

Jul 5, 2017 7:53 am
      well i guess it could be quite dangerous to have vr in public (unless it allows you to see reality, only alters it a little bit), not sure about getting arrested about it, I guess it makes sense only if you are posing some kind of danger to the public

Jul 7, 2017 2:59 pm
      Why am I not surprised?

It is Russia after all, communism is the law there.

You can't do anything about it.

Jul 25, 2017 1:25 pm
      Arresting is not an option.

Yes it is dangerous to run around with  a VR device.
      Since people manage to die while driving and having a live stream or fall down cliffs while hunting Pokemon or run against street lanterns because they were so focused on their smartphones it is just right to prohibit VR devices in public.

But instead of arresting her, they could charge her money like they do for wrong parking.

Quick Reply:What do you think about being arrested for wearing VR in public?

Smiles
      refresh
      Go Advanced »