Sponsor

Quick Jump Full Board List
Forum Home General Discussion Do you trust VR as a form of exercise?

Do you trust VR as a form of exercise?

Feb 21, 2017 11:55 pm
“I was unhealthy. At my worst I was over 300 pounds. It came to the point where my doctor finally said you need to get the heck in shape. I was at that lowest low point where he was basically saying you need to do something or you’re gonna die.”

This was the situation that Job Stauffer found himself in at the end of last summer. He had always been a bit big for his frame, but once he crossed the 300 pound mark he began experiencing regular headaches and other health concerns. Visiting his doctor he got the response he was expecting: “it’s time to lose some weight.”

Stauffer works in the video game business and decided that perhaps the industry he loved could provide an answer to his weight loss dilemma. Stauffer owns an HTC Vive and says he tried a few different experiences to get his heart rate up in VR including Holopoint, but he found the perfect fit in a rhythm game called Soundboxing.

“When I first started out I spent like 20 minutes in the headset. 20 then became 25 and 25 became 45 and 45 became an hour and sometimes an hour would become 90 minutes,” he said. “I even bought a set of one pound weighted gloves which may not sound like much but really engages your upper body a lot more than you’d think.”

All of that consistency and effort is paying off. Stauffer reports that he lost around 50 pounds through Soundboxing alone. The progress he’s made has also given him the confidence and physical freedom to start doing more traditional workouts such as a rowing machine and weight lifting. It’s a great start and Stauffer says he has “no plans of stopping.”

Will you use VR as a form of exercise? If so, which game will you use?

Source: uploadvr.com

[ The post was edited by shelthrst at Feb 22, 2017 12:10 am ]

Return to the list

Bookmark and share to your friends

Feb 22, 2017 9:17 am
Yeah, you're losing the fat that's stored in your muscles. Fat is like pure energy. Once the muscles can't hold anymore it stores it in your skin. So yeah, you're losing fat, but in your muscles only. The only way to lose skin fat is to cut back on eating. Losing over 50 pounds, exercise does play it's part but it's also cause you're spending your time more on VR than eating.

MMOsite Special Offer

Feb 23, 2017 4:42 am
    I urge you all to listen to this genius remark! Not eating is the BEST way to lose fat. Exercise is not as effective and helpful for your health than NOT EATING. No sarcasm intended.

Brought you by World hungry-boy association, killing off wastefull people for the good of humanity!

(more food for me)

Feb 23, 2017 1:08 pm
    Sure VR could be a interesting method to losing weight for those who have more fat than healthy. If what he said is true that he lost about 50.6 lbs in 5 months his body must be in overdrive mode to try to restore that amount of lost fat since he'd have to be above 300 lbs but below 400 lbs for a doctor to tell him to exercise as a solution. If he was at 300 lbs he'd have lost about ~17% of his body fat in less than a year which is still within a healthy range. However, if a male lose more than 20% (30% for females) of his body fat in one year you're in for some significant metabolic stress and it could be harmful to your health instead. So even if you opt for such a solution, try to be moderate about how you go about it. Also the 20% and 30% is just a generalization so take your own body into consideration.

May 12, 2017 1:13 am
    all Bows to you men. Goodjob :D

Signature

Jun 20, 2017 9:49 pm
    Good job!

Jun 22, 2017 2:28 am
    That's some transformation there :O

MMOsite Special Offer

Jun 28, 2017 10:54 pm
      Yes. And the visor acts like weights :)

Signature

Jun 29, 2017 12:42 am
      Reply 7#  neo_punker

I mean even without them, it's still increase of exercising by moving around if you aren't used to doing that, it does certainly work as form of exercise.

Jun 29, 2017 5:41 am
      of course, i mean it only that you are being active, not how you are being active

Jun 29, 2017 11:58 pm
      Reply 9#  Livity5

that's what i think too, there's a reason there's all those sports games on consoles where you exercise with the game and burn fat that way.

Quick Reply:Do you trust VR as a form of exercise?

Smiles
      refresh
      Go Advanced »