Sponsor

Quick Jump Full Board List
Forum Home Pirate King Online Anti-Hack/Anti-Scam guide

Anti-Hack/Anti-Scam guide

Aug 2, 2008 6:12 am
Well guys, here's what my friend promised to send me, and what I had promised to post. enjoy it and don't be fooled by those scammers and hackers.

LEON'S ANTI-SCAM GUIDE

Well, finally the official forum is up. (hehe, this is refered to the pko official forum)
So, yeah. I gonna clip all the info i get and make it into this guide.

Well, there have been many of my friends in pko got scammed big time. Many quited, some came back but quited in a short while still...I can say, scammers kill. One big scam can lead to a players quiting, thus eliminating the players existence in-game hence technically 'killed' the player for good. Well, despite of big scams, even if he scam your 1/100 money would result you in misery.

To Begin with, I would like to remind y'all again. 1500 rum you need to pay if you need your scam/hack case investigated. It was a way the management of PKO wants us to be very vigilant on our belongings and client account(s).

I would not touch on anti-hack, but my advice is to never share account with anyone! You may want to share account with your siblings then pls bear the risk yourself...sometime, even siblings tend to hack your stuffs in-game too.

MINOR ANTI-HACK TIPS *updated on 31 July 2008*
*update* ok, after the massive hack issue we've got in deck (at least i know its my friends in deck have this trouble)... I've decided to make some updates on some anti-hack tips that i know.

the tips are:
1) never give out your id and passwords!
yes, never give out them. if u intend to do so, do it with your own risk.
2) never log in your id and passwords into websites other than PKO official website
simple, them hackers would need you to log in so they can give you some 'rewards'. some say rum some say items. but, the only thing they will give is a hack. never log into those website with your id and passwords.
3) Do not visit unauthorized websites
unauthorized websites, for example is a gold-selling website. This one, may hack and commence fraud on you (especially you use credit cards). and not to mention of possible hack-in and plantation of keyloggers into your computer.

Some Tips about How they Scam You:
There are many ways of scammers scam people, and these are the common ones that i know:
1) tradition way of scamming is you pay them first before they trade you their item(s) from their 'another character'.
2) he/she wants to borrow items
3) he/she wants to try your items before buying
4) he/she trade items, but full inventory or cancel trade, and do it numerous
times and trade u a useless stuff when u off-guard.
5) he/she claims have the ability to duplicate items, and ask if u want to. If u
want, u need to give in ur items first.

Other Possible ways of scamming you:
1) plvl. either they pay later (u selling plvl) or they want u pay 1st (u buying plvl) would always have high potential of u being scammed. if u sell plvl, they log off for the rest of the day right after they reached the specific level; u payed ur money and then the scammer just log off immediately after ur payment. (some might just bring to a aggressive mob spot and log off. >_<) refered to Hikari's anti-scam guide in TOP forum
2) Blueprints can be used to scam. usage counts that is 0 can be traded. so, beware that u do not buy a useless bp from a stall or a scammer. refered to Hikari's anti-scam guide in TOP forum
3)Market price technique. Example would tell u more clearly. this is from Hikari's guide:

Quote:
A common example would be one character buying something, while another character selling the same thing, for cheaper.

Example:

Player A: B> devil wings, 20m!!!
Player B: S> Devil wings 7m only!!! PM ME RUSHHHHHH!!!!

Now the typical newb would think "wow I'm going to make 13m profit easy" (cause you know, I expect some basic arithmetics in this game), so you PM player A and tell him you have it, arrange a meeting spot, PM player B and buy it, then go to the arranged meeting spot..and he's not there.  

refered to Hikari's anti-scam guide in TOP forum
4) coral scams. Yeap, if u should know i've seen a level 5 strike coral selling in a stall, but the charge is lower than 10. so, that coral doesnt worth its 50k gold if u do not want it to serve as a decoration in your inventory or bank. ^^ (thnx for Hikari's bp scam tip, which reminds me of this incident)

Advices on How to Prevent Being Scammed:
About what to do to prevent being scammed...I cant say I have absolute solution to it but!
I have these 4 Quotes of Anti-scamming (created by my lil sis, Cyllia) :
1) There is no borrowing, there is only trading.
2) There is no trying before buying, there is only buying then using.
3) There is no paying 1st in trading, there is only one-shot-trading.
4) There is no buying rum codes, there is only buying item mall items.

Here are some advices from GM Marcus from his forum under my thread there too.

Quote:
Rule to follow just say NO

For example

Trade me first NO

Too many things trade me half first NO

Give me your acc i pass the rum to you NO

I give u my pass you give me your NO

When you see someone who is a well known scammer HELL NO

Call for me when there are too many items to trade YES
(provided im free)

Check BEFORE ALL TRADES YES  

well, dun mind the 'Call for me when there are too many items to trade YES
(provided im free)' lol i think its a running joke.

Here is one more thing that u guys should consider.

Quote:
Use a mystic lock

Yes, they cost 200g. I know, that's like way too expensive just for temporary safe-keeping. Yes, you'd rather spend that money on the stupid bank NPC.

For the record, they used to cost 1000g -_-

But these are useful. If you're expecting to leave long periods of time, use it.
Some people use it everytime they log out: these people are generally safest and don't complain about "omg someone hacked me when I left".  

adapted from Hikari's anti-scam guide in TOP forum.

well, i think dats all about the guide.
Thanks to everyone who responded to my thread in Marcus forum (Lets share info on anti-scamming). And of course, thanks to GM Marcus's advice too.

Input from GM Kismet:

If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is! Remember, once you click the trade button, you are agreeing to whats being traded...Please be sure to read each item carefully, as sometimes players like to switch the items with fake look-a-likes.

(Yeap, like how GM Kismet said. I remember there is this item, egg stone. It looks a lot like KAL RUNE if I recon. Dun get fooled by them. Read their descriptions, u need to be very vigilant on that. p.s: thanks Kismet for pointing out on that.^^)

And if you guys here got more info on anti-scamming, pls share them out here. Thank you.

*added additional info on anti-hack at 31 July 2008*

(well, this is the whole thing for now...lemme know if i missed out something. ^^)

Thanks alot Ishinomorileon u rocks
This post has been modified on Sep 23 , 2008 06:19:44 PM by   skyangel_222.

Return to the list

Signature

~~谭慧芳~~
pko
Azov server
Lv 80 Seal Master

Bookmark and share to your friends

Sep 25, 2008 2:38 am
I am encouraging each of every here especially PKO MMOsiters to read this very important thread/guide ok.

-mark_anthony

Signature

MMOSITE Position : Forum Moderator, MMOsite Police, MMOshop Assistant and a SPAMMER HUNTER (Muahahahahaha!!!)

MMOsite Special Offer

Oct 7, 2008 1:23 am
    Wow.. thx skyangel.. i agree with all those u mentioned...

people have to be more careful when trading...

But as for plvling part, i guess the best way is to find someone u know to plvl u to REDUCE the chances of getting scammed. =)

but of course, the safest way is to level up by your own hard work. ^^  

Btw, i'm glad the PKO thingy is getting better.

well, for instance, i can login successfully nowadays. haha.. Have fun, pirates

Signature

server: D e c k
    characters: all xXswift_____Xx.

"Once you decide to do it, don't regret---Fight on!"
    Oct 8, 2008 7:11 pm
    the most important is becareful[SMILE=s20]
    and,yeah,lv up by your own hard work,no pain no gain[SMILE=s46]

Oct 9, 2008 4:56 am
    lol, yeah I agree with you guys, and -.- gg this game still have many bugs lol  i hope they fix them soon -.-  

Signature

~~谭慧芳~~
    pko
    Azov server
    Lv 80 Seal Master
    Oct 9, 2008 5:07 am
    Yeah. Level up yourself. Don't depend on others. Sometimes scammers / hackers also call themselves as GM and said that they need your password and id to do maintenance or something.

Signature

Oct 10, 2008 6:59 am
    ppl get scammed mostly coz they trade n confirm without checking the items
    this guide's so good
    ty

MMOsite Special Offer

Oct 10, 2008 5:25 pm
      Scam only happens if you trade with noobs or poor dudes.They never had a chance to scam me.

But guild is abit tough.Always let the guild leaders know if someone within guild is borrowing something.But then only loan stuff to those really pro players.The chance of them hack very low unless they wan suicide.Whole guild will chase after him.

But for new guild member,tell them godai if they to borrow or trade 1st policy.

Oct 10, 2008 7:14 pm
      thanks for all the tips! especially the bp part with 0 usage count.

its true, never ever lend anyone your eqs!

my experience:
      i met this guy in game (i don't know him in real life)
      we always lvled together, and we became in game best friend..
      one day, he suddenly pm me. he wanted to borrow my staff, saying he wants to wear it on his cleric to see how it look like on his cleric. (my staff was fused to the drum apparel)
      initially, i was reluctant to lend him. but he kept begging me, promising that he'll return asap.
      so i lend him,  then he went offline.
      i waited for quite some time but he never came online and never gave my staff back.

it turns out that it wasn't him who was playing at that time. he gave his id to his friend, and his friend abused his id, using his id to scam others.

so the lesson of the story: never ever lend anything to your in game friends, unless u know them in real life and are close to them too.

Oct 10, 2008 9:14 pm
      i still get scammed often when i sell plvl... ><(cant be helped anyway i guess)

Signature

Oct 13, 2008 5:07 am
      u need to be careful, even when hes ur friend

Oct 15, 2008 4:29 am
      tnx for the info... i appreciate it much

MMOsite Special Offer

Oct 16, 2008 12:44 pm
        hm... one way to ensure if that character is your friend who's using is by asking him/her some questions that you both got a special answer for it.. like a code or something.

OR just get email and add on msn to chat if the character online in PKO is actually your friend. ^^

Making friends are easy, finding good buddies are tougher...

Signature

server: D e c k
        characters: all xXswift_____Xx.

"Once you decide to do it, don't regret---Fight on!"
        Oct 23, 2008 2:08 am
        Thanks ishimorileon =X

zz.. I hope all scammers/hackers go out get banged by car!We will be happy!!

Signature

Oct 28, 2008 11:19 am
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by BabyHell
        Thanks ishimorileon =X

zz.. I hope all scammers/hackers go out get banged by car!We will be happ ...

hmm, yeah I understand u, but scammers and hackers could change also, just talk to them and change their mind about hacking and scamming ... oh well, i know the most of u guys will say "leopard will never change its spot" well, we are all humans and we are here in this world to help each other and to learn how to forgive others.

Signature

~~谭慧芳~~
        pko
        Azov server
        Lv 80 Seal Master
        Oct 30, 2008 11:03 pm
        why ppl wan to scam (coz its easy money)? but the key problem is why some ppl want to be scam. this ppl who are desperate for something will easily fall prey to the scammers. one way of avoiding being scammed is to stop talking to the whoever is selling you something if he really wans to sell them he will chase u. if u run away and they dun chase u mean that they can scam someone else. moral of story: dun be so desperate! theres always other players selling the same things cheaper somewhere else. u just nid to be at the right place at the right time!

Nov 19, 2008 2:09 am
        Thanx for your Info's it really a big help to us...

MMOsite Special Offer

Nov 19, 2008 6:02 pm
          Better not trust even your friend especially when you only meet him ingame.

Signature

MMOSITE Position : Forum Moderator, MMOsite Police, MMOshop Assistant and a SPAMMER HUNTER (Muahahahahaha!!!)
          Nov 24, 2008 3:40 am
          i trust my friend whom i only meet in-game. I dunno why but of course he trusted me as well. this kind of friendship made me endure the sxking bug of pko and still play till now huh.

Dec 1, 2008 1:09 am
          Thx skyangel_222.Your anti-hack/anti-scam guide does help a lot.Now i know more tricks of scammer.Chances to be scam / hack is lower now.

Signature

Quick Reply:Anti-Hack/Anti-Scam guide

Smiles
          refresh
          Go Advanced »